1. Light Up: Amsterdam Light Festival | The Amsterdam Light Festival returns to Amsterdam this festive season, (literally) putting the beautiful city centre and its canals in the limelight from 6 December 2013 to 19 January 2014.
2. Go Wilde: Restaurant Wilde Zwijnen (Wild Boar) | A real favourite with locals, this petite 70 cover restaurant uses French techniques and Dutch ingredients and offers a wonderful wine selection alongside their unique menu. Javaplein 23, 1095 CJ Amsterdam, www.wildezwijnen.com.
3. Another Planet: Planet Earth in Concert | Following the successful arena tour of Frozen Planet earlier in 2013, this live performance pairs up the beautiful cinematography of the BBC’s Planet Earth natural history documentary series with a sweeping symphonic soundtrack performed by the 80-piece Gelders Orchestra. Filling up the Ziggo Dome on Saturday, 28 December 2013, this dramatic and dazzling spectacle is sure to wow the entire family.
4. Under the Big Top: Winter Circus in Amsterdam | This high-octane Winter Circus pitches its tents from 21 December 2013 to 5 January 2014 near Amsterdam’s Heineken Music Hall, creating a traditional backdrop for the winter circus experience.
5. It’s Dreamy: The Sleeping Beauty | Just in time for the Christmas holidays, The Dutch National Ballet present the classic ‘The Sleeping Beauty’ in a run of shows from 12 December 2013 to 1 January 2014 at Amsterdam’s Music Theatre.
6. Get Your Skates On: Ice skating, throughout the city | Get your skates on and glide around the Jaap Edenbaan or head to the smaller rinks at Museumplein and Leidseplein. And then warm up with a hot meal and a drink at one of the nearby cafes!
7. Feel the Heat: Sauna Deco | A 10 minute walk from Canal House. For over thirty years, Sauna Deco has been a household name in Amsterdam. It has become synonymous with rest and relaxation combined with style, ambience and Art Deco.
8. Strictly Come Amsterdam: Tangomagia 2013 | From 26 to 30 December Amsterdam becomes the capital of Argentine tango for five fiery days and nights during the festive season. Keep out the winter chill with performances, workshops and dancing events throughout the city!
9. Flip Out: Pancakes Amsterdam: We love a pancake in Amsterdam and you’ll find no better selection then at Pancakes! Amsterdam, located at Berenstraat 38, 1016 GH. Open daily from 10am – 7pm. www.pancakesamsterdam.nl
10. Jean-ious: Denham Jeans Maker | Englishman Jason Denham set up DENHAM in Amsterdam, having already established his reputation in the European market as a consummate “jeanmaker” known for mixing denim modernism with workwear tradition. Checkout their men’s and women’s collection at Prinsengracht 493, 1016 HR. www.denhamthejeanmaker.com