EYES & EARS: APRIL 2013
10 things to do this month ...
1. Booming Amsterdam: City Archives Amsterdam | As Amsterdam celebrates 400 years of canals, the City Archives showcase the development of the canals during the Golden Era | Daily 10:00am till 17:00pm (weekends 12.00pm till 17.00pm) | Vijzelstraat 32, 1017 HL Amsterdam | www.boomingamsterdam2013.nl
2. Chocolate: Puccini Bomboni | The finest chocolatier in town. The deliciously original bomboni are traditionally handmade on the premises to their own recipe, using the very best natural ingredients | Singel 184, 1016 AA Amsterdam | www.puccinibomboni.com
3. Tapas: Ibericus | A specialty shop, located in the trendy Haarlemmerstraat, offering several delicacies of the famous Ibérico pig. The ham is cut on the spot and served on a sandwich to-go or to enjoy in the seating of the shop. Open 7 days a week | Haarlemmerstraat 93, 1013 EM Amsterdam
4. Queens Day: 30 April 2013 | The largest and most colourful party in Amsterdam, celebrated by over 1 million visitors. This year will also mark the abdication of Queen Beatrix and the official inauguration of a the new King and Queen | Check www.iamsterdam.com for more information on the festivities
Concierge tip: Start your day wandering around Vondelpark where children of all ages make extra money selling goods and performing acts.
5. Re-opening: Rijksmuseum | From 13 April 2013 | After ten years of being closed for renovation, the Rijksmuseum will officially re-open on 13 April 2013 | Jan Luijkenstraat 1, 1071 CJ Amsterdam | Tickets available at the front desk | www.rijksmuseum.nl
6. Cocktails: Tales & Spirits | A new cocktail bar and restaurant serving inventive cocktails and grown up food in a relaxed atmosphere. Lijnbaansteeg 5-7, 1012 TE Amsterdam | www.talesandspirits.com
7. Planning ahead: Anne Frank House | Avoid the long queues and book your tickets for a reserved spot in advance at www.annefrank.org | Open daily 9:00am till 21:00pm (Saturdays 10.00pm) | Prinsengracht 263-265 (3 minutes from Canal House), Amsterdam | www.annefrank.org/en
8. Concept store: Options | Contemporary concept department store situated amidst the touristy Damrak, with cool gadgets, designer clothing and funky gifts | Open daily | Damrak 49, 1012 LL Amsterdam | www.optionsamsterdam.com
9. Beers: Brouwerij ‘t IJ | A micro-brewery (since 1985) brewing Amsterdam’s finest beer, uniquely located next to the Gooyer windmill in Amsterdam-East. On a sunny day, their outdoor terrace is the perfect spot to enjoy a pint. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays tours are available at 16:00pm in English at € 4.50 per person (including 1 beer) | Open daily 14:00pm until 20:00pm | Funenkade 7, 1018 AL Amsterdam | www.brouwerijhetij.nl
10. Film: Imagine Film Festival: 17 – 29 April 2013 | For everyone with a passion for Fantasy, Anime, Thriller, Cult, Horror and Science-fiction films, with this year's focus on Scandinavian fantastic cinema | www.imaginefilmfestival.nl