EYES & EARS: JUNE 2013
10 things to do this month ...
1. Green thumbs: Open Garden Days | 14th, 15th, 16th June 2013 10:00am till 17:00pm | Over 3 days approximately 30 canal house gardens open to the public (including ours!) | A €15.00 passport gets you access to all participating gardens | Get your tickets at Keizersgracht 177, Amnesty International | www.opentuinendagen.nl
2. Honest fashion: Eerlijk Waar | A tiny boutique specializing in fair-trade clothing, bags and accessories, including the über trendy Mud Jeans | Open daily 10:00 am till 18:00 pm | Torensteeg 5, Amsterdam | www.eerlijkwaar.net
3. French Flanders: Rijsel Rotisserie | Located in a former school in Amsterdam East, Rijsel serves up traditional French food with a hint of Flanders. No-nonsense food in a modern industrial environment | Open Tuesday to Saturday from 18:00 pm | Marcusstraat 52B, Amsterdam (by taxi) | www.rijsel.com
4. Sunny bite: Wannemakers | Located in an old canal warehouse, this is an atmospheric spot for breakfast, lunch, dinner or anything in between. Their small canal frontage is a suntrap in the morning and early afternoon | Open daily from 08:00am | Singel 210, Amsterdam | www.wannemakers.nl
5. Jenever: Café ‘t Smalle | Located where Pieter Hoppe started his famous Jenever Brewery, this lovely café is full of authentic details and typical of the Jordaan area. They have a floating terrace on the canal | Open daily from 10:00am | Egelantiersgracht 12, Amsterdam | www.t-smalle.nl
6. Good read: Mendo | Unique collection of XL-books on architecture, interior design, fashion, design and photography. Located in the fashionable 9 streets district, the shop is designed by the renowned Concrete Architects | Open daily 11:00am till 18:00pm, Sundays noon till 17:00pm | Berenstraat 11, Amsterdam (9 streets district) | www.mendo.nl
7. Design feature: Moooi Gallery | Moooi designs’ flagship store, displaying work by Netherlands foremost designers throughout an 850 square meter space. Some of the furniture and lighting in our Great Room can be found at Moooi | Open Tuesday through Saturday 10:00am till 18:00pm | Westerstraat 187, Amsterdam (7 min by foot) | www.moooi.com
8. Performing arts: Holland Festival | The trend-setting performing arts festival in the Netherlands since 1947, annually presenting exceptional work at an international level. An intriguing mix of theatre, music, dance, opera, film and visual art | 1st June until 26th June | Various locations | www.hollandfestival.nl/en
9. Day trip: On a sunny day, pick up a few sandwiches from the Osdorper (opposite the tram stop at Westermarkt) and head down towards the Vondelpark for a picnic or get adventurous and head out of the city by following the Amstel river towards Oudekerk aan de Amstel for some countryside fun. Directions and bicycles can be arranged through front desk.
10. Outdoor fun: Open Air Theatre at the Vondelpark | Starting 2nd June, Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays | From cabaret and drama to concerts and dance, there is something here for everyone and of all ages. Worth a visit just for the atmosphere | www.openluchttheater.nl