EYES & EARS: NOVEMBER 2013
10 things to do this month ...
1. Turn on the Lights: Start of the festive season | Amsterdam’s luxury department store de Bijenkorf opens the festive season in brilliant spectacle and festive cheer on Thursday, 21 November 2013! The free event on Amsterdam’s Dam Square officially kicks off at 19:00 and is followed by a magical theatrical show by international street theatre company Plasticiens Volants.
2. Arty Amsterdam: Chambres des Canaux | Twenty iconic Amsterdam canal-side properties exhibit the very best of the international art scene including Marlene Dumas, Atelier Van Lieshout, Guido van der Werve and Fiona Tan. From 1 to 17 November 2013. Ask reception for details.
3. Brits Abroad: London Calling Autumn Edition | The twice-yearly music festival at the Paradiso, London Calling, helps give Amsterdam’s indie kids and music lovers an insight into what’s happening across the channel and beyond. The autumn edition of London Calling returns to Amsterdam on 1 & 2 November 2013. www.paradiso.nl
4. After Dark: Museum Nacht | On 2 November 2013, see Amsterdam’s museums in a completely new light - after dark! Approximately 50 museums open their doors from 19:00 to 02:00 and organize special events including workshops, concerts, special tours and performances. Tickets cost €17.95 and are available via www.museumnachtamsterdam.nl.
5. Christmas Comes Early: Sinterklaas | It’s the 75th anniversary of Sinterklaas in Amsterdam! Every November, Sinterklaas travels from his home in Spain to the Netherlands, bringing presents and treats for the children. He’ll arrive in Amsterdam on 17 November 2013, to an extra special 75th anniversary welcome!
6. Film Buff: IDFA 2013 | Transforming the city center into a paradise for documentary film lovers, the 26th edition of the International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam returns from 20 November to 1 December 2013. The complete program is announced on www.idfa.nl on 7 November and tickets are on sale at 19:00 on 11 November.
7. Grand Dame: Titanic, The Artifact Exhibition | A spellbinding exhibition devoted to the “unsinkable ship” features many items retrieved during expeditions to the Titanic’s wreck site at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. Opens 14 November 2013.
8. Feeling Animated: KLIK! | One of the city’s most unique film festivals, KLIK! Amsterdam Animation Festival features a massive selection of top-quality animated films that go well beyond Walt’s work. KLIK! returns to the EYE Filmmuseum from 12 to 17 November 2013.
9. Best of Both: Restaurant Lastage | French technique and Dutch ingredients blend seamlessly at this petite 30 seat Michelin-starred restaurant near Amsterdam’s Red Light District. Open Wednesday to Saturday from 18.30 at Geldersekade 29 1011 EJ Amsterdam.
10. A Little Something: Gartine | A small but perfectly formed restaurant serving breakfast, lunch & high tea. Wonderful antique interiors and a menu championing the finest local ingredients. Open daily from 10.00 until 18.00 at Taksteeg 7 1012 PB Amsterdam.