EYES & EARS: OCTOBER 2013
10 things to do this month ...
1. Child’s Play: The Cinekid Festival | The largest international film, television and new media festival for children aged 4 to 14 held at the Westergasfabriek. The festival returns to Amsterdam from 16 to 25 October 2013.
2. It’s Electric: The Amsterdam Dance Event (ADE) | The gateway to the international electronic music scene: 5 days, 2,000 artists, 450 events and 100 locations. ADE returns to the city from 16 to 20 October 2013. www.amsterdam-dance-event.nl
3. Hey Mickey: Disney Live! Mickey’s Rockin’ Road Show | The wonderful world of Disney meets Holland’s Got Talent for this family-friendly extravaganza at Amsterdam’s RAI Theater. Join Mickey and all of his magical pals at one of six shows on 11, 12, and 13 October. www.rai.nl
4. Abstract Amsterdam: Mondriaan in Amsterdam | This autumn the Amsterdam Museum reveals an unknown side of the world-famous abstract artist Piet Mondrian. ‘Mondrian in Amsterdam 1892-1912’ runs from 11 October 2013. www.amsterdammuseum.nl
5. So Spooky: Amsterdam Halloween Festival | Amsterdam Spook has been providing partygoers in Amsterdam with their Halloween fix since 2000. Staying true to the ghoulishly good belief that the event should be more than just one day, they return with their 4th annual Amsterdam Halloween Festival from 25 to 31 October 2013! www.halloweenamsterdam.com
6. Modern Classic: Don Quichot Ballet | Due to popular demand, the Dutch National Ballet’s vibrant interpretation of this French opera about a certain foolhardy knight returns to Amsterdam’s Het Muziektheater for a series of performances beginning 12 October and running until 3 November 2013. www.het-ballet.nl
7. A Matter of Science: World Science Festival | Special preview edition of the World Science Festival Amsterdam (WSFA) hits town from 4 to 6 October 2013. Look out for events and presentations at Science Centre NEMO and other venues around the city.
8. Like a Rolling Stone: Bob Dylan | The living legend will appear at Amsterdam’s Heineken Music Hall for two unforgettable nights on 30 and 31 October 2013. www.heineken-music-hall.nl
9. Race Ready: TCS Amsterdam Marathon | Held annually in mid-October, the event draws elite runners from around the world, with its 38th edition taking place on Sunday, 20 October 2013. Head to the sidelines to watch the spectacle and cheer them on!
10. Go Green: De Kas | Meaning ‘Green House’ in Dutch, this restaurant is housed in an enormous glass house: one half for dining, the other for growing the fruit and veg that end up on your plate. www.restaurantdekas.nl